All workshops will be held at Arabesque Dance & Fitness, 3120 W. Belmont, Chicago, IL
*Performance spots for the Friday Performance Workshop are sold out! Spaces are still available to take the workshop. Dancers will be added to the performance wait list in the order that they register.
Friday, 12/1/17: 6:30-10:00PM
In this workshop, students will work with Jill to perfect and stage a choreography. Participants will be provided with choreography tutorial videos in advance to learn prior to the workshop. Students will have the opportunity to perform the piece with Jill at Winterlux on December 2, 2017 at the Filament Theatre in Chicago. Due to limited space, performance opportunity spots are available for the first 15 students who register (Performance spots are currently sold out!). In order to perform with Jill in the show, dancers must also be enrolled in at least one (1) additional workshop (either Saturday or Sunday) and demonstrate the ability to perform the choreography. Additional students may participate in this class and will be added to the performance spot wait list. Students may opt to take this class without show participation and do not need to enroll in an additional workshop.
Saturday, 12/2/17: 10:00-4:00PM (full day only)
Spiral to the Core - Stacking Bones In Your Favor (10:00-1:00)
For excellent posture, length, strong footing, dependable balance, controlled releve, graceful turns, solid spins and last but not least, that sensuous loose yet controlled heavy low pelvis tribal fusion belly dancers strive for. Practice using your breath within movements. Techniques, concepts, visualization and practical exercise explorations facilitated to help you work WITH Gravity and be sure footed for the ultimate grounded controlled fluidity and floating grace.
Lunch Break (1:00-2:00 lunch included with workshop, Saturday only)
Devil in the Details (2:00-4:00)
Correcting weak performance habits by infusing intention and feeling into the standard presentation style we take for granted as professional dancers. In this workshop we will experiment with changing our habits and scrambling things up - to see what's on the other side. We aim to eliminate unintentional movements, lack of facial expression, being glued to one spot of the floor, etc. Through facilitated exercises Jill will take you on a journey of exploration designed to bring your dancing and stage presentation to a much more intentional and embodied place!
- Expanding into your "personal container" for dramatic effect. Fully completing lines and extensions.
- Finishing footwork intentionally and completely - exploring how we approach the floor.
- Finessing ornamented hands and gorgeous arm work for optimal framing & presentational effect.
- Slowing down - using movement sparingly and intentionally.
- Juicing movements muscularly -Balancing effort and ease for a striking & intentional presentation.
Sunday, 12/3/17: 10:00-1:30PM
Shimmy Therapy ~ Ready Aim Fire! The Jill Parker Method
Earthy, fluid, juicy, percussive and loose shimmies are a trademark of Belly Dance, especially Tribal Fusion Belly Dance. We are going to drill varieties of loose shimmies until your body doesn't have any choice but to understand what we're after! Think Mechanics. Think loose and gooey. Think in the pocket, sure fire timing. Think heavy, low and loose pelvis. Jill will give you tools and drills for wiggling more excellence into your shimmy.
For the most up-to-date developments, RSVP on our Facebook Event
Winterlux is an evening of modern belly dance with timeless appeal. Showcasing a variety of styles and artists, Chicago-based troupe Spellbound, and the nationally renowned Jill Parker, all tied together by mistress of ceremonies Eva la Feva, Winterlux will be at the Filament Theatre, 4041 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago, on December 2, 2017 as part of the Jill Parker Workshop Weekend.
ABout Jill PArker
Jill Parker is the founder of the modern Tribal Fusion belly dance phenomenon, birthed out of San Francisco California in the mid-90s. Jill was an original member of FatChanceBellyDance, and founder of Ultra Gypsy Dance Theater, the trail-blazing company that birthed such great dancers as Rachel Brice, Sharon Kihara, Lady Fred, Rose Harden and countless others. With nearly three decades of experience, Jill has trained the top belly dancers in the genre and influenced a generation of belly dancers with her modern innovations, all the while remaining deeply rooted in her connection to the traditional, sensual and authentic.
Jill's big heart and deep love for this intoxicating form shine through in her generous teaching as well as her knock out performances worldwide. She's an exceptional teacher with a gift for demystifying this intricate dance, making it accessible for new dancers, and offering insights for refinements and nuance to even the most seasoned professional dancer.
Q: Can I pay another way besides PayPal?
·Yes, you can pay via Zelle or Chase QuickPay to email@example.com. Be sure to include your name and what workshops you are signing up for!
Q: What are the prices after early registration ends on October 20th?
·Prices increase 15% on November 1st.
Q: Can I transfer/sell my workshops to someone else if I have to cancel?
·Yes, you can transfer/sell your workshops to another dancer for an equal (or lesser) price than you paid. The Saturday workshop cannot be divided and must be attended by the same dancer in both morning and afternoon workshops.
Q: Is there an audition to perform the Friday Performance piece with Jill in the Winterlux show?
·No, there is no audition to perform. The first 15 dancers who enroll in the Friday Performance Workshop (+one other day) will perform with Jill. Dancers will received tutorial videos from Jill in advance in order to study and learn the choreography. Dancers must come to the class reasonably prepared, having studied and learned prior to the class. Class time will be spent answering questions, cleaning up technique, staging and drilling the piece.
Q: I am coming from out of town. Where can I stay?
·Arabesque Dance & Fitness is located in the residential neighborhood of Avondale in the city of Chicago. The best bet is to check AirBNB using the zip code 60618. Arabesque is located just 3 blocks from the Belmont stop of the CTA 'Blue Line' and also right off of I90/94. The Blue Line runs from O'Hare all the way to down town Chicago, running through some of the most popular Chicago neighborhoods like Logan Square (60647) and Wicker Park (60622), so you can search for AirBNB options in those neighborhoods as well. There are also many hotels located in the Chicago O'Hare airport area.
Q: Where is Winterlux (Filament Theatre) in relation to Arabesque?
·Filament Theatre is just 2.5 miles northwest of Arabesque in the Old Irving Park neighborhood of Chicago.
Q: What are the registration conditions?
· Workshop and show tickets are non-refundable – you may sell your place to another dancer if required, but please let us know in advance – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· There are no refunds on the installment plan and final payment is due on November 15th. Workshops may be transferred to another dancer, but please let us know in advance via email at email@example.com. The installment plan is not eligible for early bird pricing and is based on regular pricing. If you need further installment options, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
· In the very unlikely occasion that the event is cancelled, the participant will receive a full refund of any payments made up until the cancellation date. Any accommodation and/or flights will not be refunded.
· I hereby release Organizers, their agents and their employers from any claims, demands, and causes of action arising from my participation in any of the above stated programs, and I hereby release the Organizers, their agents and their employees from any liability now or in the future including, but not limited to, any personal injury, heart attacks, muscle strains, pulls, tears, broken bones, shin splints, heat prostration, knee, lower back, or foot injuries and any other illness, soreness or injury however caused occurring before, during or after participation in any other of the above stated programs offered by Organizers. Participant agrees that he or she shall indemnify and hold harmless the Organizers, their agents and their employees from any claims for any injuries or property damage brought by or against the Participant, and shall hold harmless Organizers for any injuries to person or property.
· By clicking the 'Add to Cart' button in the Registration Section above, you hereby affirm that you have read and fully understand and agree with the above waiver.